Now is not the time for multi-tasking. Take advantage of the resources in your community to find the support that you need.
A cancer diagnosis comes with a wide variety of physical, emotional and logistical challenges. Even the most self -sufficient individual can quickly become overwhelmed. This is not the time to try to do it all yourself. There is a vast amount of national and local resources available to help you meet your specific challenges.
Below are a few resources to assist you in locating the help you need.
- Emotional support. It is not a sign of weakness to seek the support of patient support groups, individual counseling, or peer -to -peer support to assist you in managing the loneliness, fear or anxiety that often accompanies cancer. Cancer care
- Financial assistance. When facing a cancer diagnosis money may be the last thing on your mind, however, a 2011 study by Duke University showed the average cancer patient in the US pays over $8,500 a year in out-of-pocket medical expenses not covered by insurance. Cancer is an expensive illness, even with insurance. There is help available: Cancer financial coalition, Give Forward
- You may not always be able to drive yourself to your treatments or follow-up appointments. There is help for arranging transportation. ACS Road to Recovery program
- Children and Cancer. Cancer does not discriminate. It is a disease that can strike at any age. National Cancer Institute
- Home Care. There are a wide range of health and social services that can be administered in the home. Explore your options. National Cancer Institute
- Specialty Supportive Care
These are just a few places to help you begin to gather the information necessary to inform the decisions you will face in managing your illness. Research and coordination of care are time-consuming and can often compound the existing stress and anxiety brought on by cancer. If the thought of coordinating care and finding resources while caring for yourself or a loved one with cancer is overwhelming we are here to help. For an initial 30-minute consultation contact us at 703-403-7600 or email email@example.com.